Ten difficulties encountered in the recruitment and management of foreign teachers
The role of foreign teachers is not limited to schools, and it has more or less influence on the community life, city image, folk customs and other aspects around the school. According to statistics from the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, there are currently more than 400,000 foreign teachers living and working in the country. In fact, for various reasons, the number of foreign teachers actually working in the country may be much higher than this figure. Such a large group of people, giving full play to their positive role, will have a positive and far-reaching impact on China’s socialist modernization drive.
However, in real life, specific to every school that uses foreign teachers, we all know that foreign teachers have a positive effect on the school’s teaching quality and teaching philosophy, but the recruitment and management of foreign teachers is a very hard and complicated job. There are many insurmountable difficulties, which lead to the embarrassing situation that although the school offers foreign teaching courses, the effect is difficult to satisfy.
Now, I will list the difficulties and bitterness that may be encountered in the recruitment and management of foreign teachers as follows:
1. The number of foreign language teachers in the mother tongue is small, the price is high, the work place is picky, willful, and difficult to manage. In many places, especially small and medium-sized cities, it is difficult to recruit qualified foreign language teachers. School leaders have asked to recruit foreign teachers from Britain, the United States, Canada, and Australia. As a result, numerous advertisements have been posted on the global recruitment of foreign teachers’ websites. Either no one responded or they came to a group of African siblings or Pakistani friends. Occasionally I encountered a mother-tongue country that was either unqualified or too old, or the image was too bad. Even so, there are still many requirements to meet his various requirements. After struggling for a long time, he still left me, and wasted a lot of expressions. No way, who can make less meat and more wolf, and worry about finding a job in the native language.
2. The contract period is short. A foreign teacher contract can usually only be signed for one year. Students and teachers have just become familiar with foreign teachers. They have cooperated in all aspects of teaching and got on track. The foreign teacher contract has expired and the school has to start recruiting new foreign teachers. Therefore, the school has to worry about recruiting foreign teachers every year. Although there are many foreign teachers, there are so few that meet our school and are willing to come to our school. Just like falling in love, foreign affairs recruiters often fall into the paradox of “I love those who don’t love me, and those who love me I don’t like”, often affecting the normal teaching order because they can’t recruit suitable foreign teachers on time. .
3. There are too many emergencies. Because of cultural differences, the credit of foreign teachers is not as good as we think. Many schools have encountered foreign teachers who suddenly left their jobs during the semester and did not even say goodbye. It was difficult to find a suitable substitute for a foreign teacher. The originally planned foreign teacher Classes had to be left empty or other classes were arranged, causing serious teaching accidents.
4. Foreign teacher qualifications: Foreign teachers who come to China to teach are mixed. Many foreign teachers do not have any teaching experience before coming to China. They do not know how to teach. They also have to teach Chinese teachers how to teach. Some young foreigners can’t even take care of themselves and make a mess of their lives. The school spent several times the salary of the middle school teacher, and the foreign teacher that was invited was only a trifle, which was useless.
5. The teaching system is incoherent: Although many schools invite foreign teachers to take English classes, most schools do not have teaching materials suitable for foreign teachers, some use teaching materials used by middle school teachers, some use foreign teachers to find materials for their own classes, and some casually Go to Xinhua Bookstore and buy a set of teaching materials for foreign teachers to take classes. Therefore, the teaching of foreign teachers is also full of flowers, good and bad, and the teaching effect is not good.
6, foreign teachers pronunciation: we usually think that foreign teachers pronounce pure, is the standard American or English sounds, as a result, foreign teachers invited to school to see that is not the case, foreign teachers pronunciation is very different, it is not that we imagine foreign teachers pronounce like television broadcasts Like foreigners, many dialects of foreign teachers are very heavy. Even if they come from mother tongue countries such as Britain and the United States, we still have a hard time understanding many of them.
7, the character of foreign teachers: Lin Zi grows up with any kind of bird, the foreign teacher team is the same. The personality problems of individual foreign teachers have affected the overall image of the foreign teacher team and caused relatively bad social influences. In the special period of China’s rise, they have been exposed and enlarged by the media, making the problem of foreign teacher’s personality a concern of the whole society. Some foreign teachers come to China with various purposes and do things that do not conform to the image of teachers and are detrimental, which may easily cause dissatisfaction and bad reviews around the school.
8. Difficulty of foreign teacher background investigation: Because cross-border borders, different systems and requirements, and schools have limited capabilities, they cannot conduct a thorough investigation of the foreign teacher’s background. As a result, some foreign criminals and even internationally wanted drug lords can mix in foreign teachers The team caused unnecessary trouble to the school.
9. Low cost for foreign teachers to break the contract: Although the employment contracts signed for foreign teachers have provisions for breach of contract, foreign teachers leave their jobs and seriously affect the order of teaching. There is no way for schools to hold foreign teachers responsible for breach of contract. Especially the sudden departure of foreign teachers in the middle of the semester, schools often cannot find substitute teachers in time and are forced to suspend or change other courses, but the foreign teachers have almost no loss.
10, the cost of foreign teachers is high. At present, the general market situation is that the salary of foreign teachers is 4-5 times that of middle school teachers. Schools usually also provide free board and lodging for foreign teachers, apply for work visas, provide round-trip international air tickets once a year, and other hidden costs. For example, foreign teacher recruitment fees, agency fees, foreign teacher teaching assistant fees, foreign teacher travel expenses, foreign teacher medical examination costs, etc.
Of course, despite the difficulties in recruiting and managing foreign teachers, because English learning is the immediate need of every student and parent, domestic schools are increasingly demanding foreign teachers, especially high-quality foreign teachers. In the future, more high-quality foreign teachers are bound to enter China. At the same time, as the main body of using foreign teachers, the recruitment and management of foreign teachers in each school continues to be painful and helpless. As long as the importance of English learning is not reduced, the market for foreign teachers is there. Now that first- and second-tier cities use foreign teachers for classes, there are more third-, fourth-, and even fifth- and sixth-tier cities. With the gradual improvement of economic capabilities, the demand for foreign education will continue to grow. More exciting dramas about foreign teacher recruitment and management will be staged in different corners of the land of China.